QSCP VIII travel suggestions and costs
Participants are expected to make reservations and pay for their trip to and from the island. A standard trip would include:
- a flight to the (new) Athens airport, located about 27 km from downtown Athens.
- overnight stay at the luxurious Sofitel hotel by the airport
or at one of the very many hotels in Athens, if needed.
- a bus ride (direct service to the harbor two to four times per hour via line E96 with a fare of € 2.90 - see map) or
- a taxi ride to the port of Piraeus (besides the accumulated price on the taxi meter, passengers are expected to pay certain surcharges for luggage and special destinations, like airports; all surchages are listed on a card displayed on a prominent place in the taxi. Despite surcharges and any traffic delays, the total is unlikely to exceed the amount of € 20.)
- a boat trip to Spetses by ferry-boat or hydrofoil (Schedule and ticket prices).
- a water taxi ride from Spetses harbor to the Lefka Palace Hotel (distance approximately 1 km)
- return trip for each of the above steps.
Instead of flying into Athens, one can:
If you wish to arrive on the island before the start of the workshop and would like to stay at Lefka Palace Hotel, the organizing committee can make a reservation on your behalf. The cost, to be paid directly to the hotel, is estimated at € 90 for a room single occupancy and € 100 for double occupancy per night with breakfast.
- drive to Athens or Kosta (land across from Spetses),
- take a ferry from Italy to Patras and then an intercity bus, car or train to Piraeus,
- ride an international bus to Athens and use the 420 local bus line to reach the port, or
- come by international train to Piraeus harbor.
Approximate location of Athens Airport.
Map of boat or road trip to Spetses. The island can be seen at the bottom of the map.
Click on the map to get expanded view.
Local travel and entertainment
Swimming and hiking are the main outdoors attractions of the island. Swimming facilities by the workshop grounds are more than adequate (both beach and swimming pool being available), but other beaches can be reached by bus or boat taxis at moderate prices.
A large variety of eating facilities are available near the workshop premises, in Spetses town and at the most popular remote beaches (Logoneri, Zogeria, Agia Marina, Agii Anargiri).
Bars and dancing clubs are also available, mostly in Spetses town.
Further travel and entertainment
A major attraction of the summer in Greece is the Hellenic Festival with performances mainly in Athens, at the Herodes Atticus open air theater, and in Epidaurus, another ancient theater not far from Spetses.
Some reservation services for Sofitel Hotel at the Athens International Airport:
Sofitel telephone: +30-210-3544000
QSCP VIII homepage